- Tue, 11 May 2021, 17:30-19:30
Download calendar (ics) file
Ricky Barsby: East Coast Upgrade Project
Tuesday May 11, 2021 5:30 PM
The East Coast Upgrade is a £1.2billion programme of major improvements to key parts of the East Coast Main Line, improving journeys for passengers between London, Cambridgeshire, the North of England and Scotland.
These are the key elements of the project:
- King’s Cross – Replacing the track, signalling and overhead line equipment over one-and-a-half miles on the approach to the station, including the reopening of the Eastern bore tunnel, enabling two additional lines to and from the station
- Werrington Junction, north of Peterborough – A new section of railway to dive under the East Coast Main Line so freight trains can reach the line to and from Spalding without having to cross the main line. Once finished, it will free up space on the ECML for extra passenger services.
- Stevenage – A new platform and track at Stevenage station opened in August 2020 so trains from the Hertford Loop can terminate and go back towards London without using up capacity on the existing tracks.
- Power Supply Upgrade – Boosting the power supply along the East Coast Main Line to enable the introduction of new trains, such as the Azuma, and additional electric trains to run in the future.
Once completed, the project will deliver quicker, more reliable journeys across the route and create capacity for thousands of extra seats per day on some of the busiest long-distance services in the country.
Ricky Barsby, East Coast Upgrade Programme Manager, London North Eastern Railway, will be updating us about this project, which will be of particular relevance to those interested in the “Delivering Passenger & Freight Services”, “Railway Engineering Maintenance & Renewable Management” and “Finance & Investment Planning” elements of the IRO Professional Operators Development (POD).
We look forward to welcoming you at this event, which you are required to register for in advance.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
CPD Topics Covered: