Student Finance.

The arrangements for the funding of higher education tuition fees are different across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. This page aims to provide you with a few pointers and links to get you started by covering the key points surrounding eligibility and availability.

The funding available to you to pay tuition fees is based on where you live, your household income, your course and previous study. The information here is based on part-time students studying on either the Certificate, Diploma or Degree course offered by the Institution of Railway Operators (IRO) with Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU).

If you would like to contact the IRO team with any questions, please call us on: 03333 440523 (ext.203) or email

Key information:

When applying for your loan, you must make sure you are applying for a part-time loan

  • All course details you will need can be found on the table below
  • On receipt of your student finance application, the university will ‘confirm your attendance’
  • They are only able to do this if you have registered with them for that academic year
  • When your application is complete, the student finance company will issue you with a ‘Payment Timetable’ which includes the course details as listed above, the students name and customer reference number, as well as a breakdown of the amount of money that is being borrowed, and when the expected payment dates are throughout the academic year
  • It is important that you send a copy of your payment timetable to the IRO to confirm that your finance is in place

Course Codes:

 Course Title

GCU AOS code

SLC code

BSc in Railway
Operations Management



Diploma of HE in Railway
Operations Management



Certificate of HE in Railway
Operations Management



If you live in England…

English or EU part-time students can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan from GOV.UK run by the UK Government.

All the information you will need can be found in the 2017/18 Student England finance guide for Part-time students – click here

Eligibility: Generally, you will only get student finance if you’re doing your first higher education qualification. This is true even if your previous course was self-funded. However, you may still get it if, for example: you change course, you leave your course but decide to start again or if you’re ‘topping up’ a higher education qualification, e.g. you’ve finished a HNC, HND or foundation degree and now want to do an honours degree.

The loan is paid directly to GCU. You will then have to pay it back in affordable monthly instalments deducted by your employer through the UK tax system.

Part-time student maximum Tuition Fee Loan is £6935 per academic year.
For more information, contact Student Finance England directly on 0300 100 0607.

If you live in Scotland…

The Students Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS), is responsible for giving financial support to eligible students doing a course of higher education in the UK.

You may find the following links to the SAAS website useful when considering an application:

If you live in Wales…

Student Finance Wales, is where you need to apply for financial support if you are living in Wales.

You may find the following links useful when considering an application:

If you live in Northern Ireland…

You need to apply through Student Finance NI. Student Finance NI is operated by the Students Loans Company and owned by the UK government.

As you will be studying on a distance learning course you need to complete an ‘Application for grants part-time study’ (PTGI) form to apply for student finance.

The fee Grant helps towards the cost of the tuition fees. The course grant can help towards the costs of books, travel and other course related expenses.

All information you will need can be found here, note some of the pages are for the 16/17 academic year, however they should give you a good indication:,1268443&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL,1267999&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL#section2

Information on additional funding can also be found on the Student Finance NI website.


You can down load a pdf document detailing the information on this page here – Student finance guide