- Fri, 21 Nov 2014-Sun, 23 Nov 2014, All Day
Download calendar (ics) file
- First Transpennine Express, 7th Floor Bridgewater House, 60 Whitworth Street, Manchester, M1 6LT
The IRO is running its next Operational Planning in the Railway Business short course in Manchester.
This weekend course open to all members and is suitable for both those who are relatively new to the subject or those who wish to further their career development and progress in this field.
The course will cover the principles involved in planning train services, and show how the role of the Operational Planner is crucial to business performance, by influencing revenue, costs and capital investment and forming the basis for many contractual relationships between companies. It will concentrate on:
- The Network
- Timetable Preparation and Resources Planning
- Access Management
- Projects and Developments
The course is aimed at those who need to:
- Understand the objectives of timetabling and the constraints within which timetabling operates
- Understand how the timetable underpins a railway business by generating revenue and setting costs
- Appreciate and employ a selection of standard timetable and resources planning techniques
- Relate effectively with associated disciplines such as commercial management and project management
- The nature of railways and the need for planning
- The commercial specification – planning to meet it and improve on it
- Track layouts and signalling – how do they affect the train service?
- Planning Rules – what determines them and how are they used to build a timetable?
- Timetable construction tools and techniques (train graph, platform occupation graph, tabular presentations)
- Planning timescales (the permanent timetable, short-term planning, very long-term strategic planning)
- Access planning and management
- Generating revenue through timetable planning
- Planning for performance
- Costs of operations – fixed and variable, marginal and avoidable
- The Operator’s role in business case appraisal and project development
- Resources planning – rolling stock and crew diagrams, key issues in crew rostering
- Capacity – what is it, where it comes from and where it goes
The course is £780 (inc.VAT) per person
Includes – course material, dinner on Saturday evening and lunch on both Saturday and Sunday. Accommodation is not included in the price.
To book call 03333 440523
Please note that as this programme is booked on a first come first served basis, we are not able to offer refunds or future credit for non-attendees. If you would like to be placed on a waiting list for short term cancellation, please contact the office.
CPD Topics Covered: Operational Planning and Timetabling