Hello and welcome to the South East Area Council home page. Here you’ll find details of our forthcoming events, reviews of previous ones and profiles of the IRO members who make up our Area Council.
Each year we plan and host a range of events designed to meet your needs, the aim being to run events that you find both informative and useful for your career development. Events are run at least every month, providing you with the opportunity to broaden your knowledge, meet senior industry figures and network with colleagues and peers.
We regularly run the following events:
- “Golden Whistle Awards” – The Operators’ equivalent of the established “Golden Spanners Awards”
- Operating Skills Weekends – “Hands on” operating weekends in areas including platform dispatch, guards duties and signalling
- Talks from senior industry figures – This includes senior managers and directors from TOCs, NR and other industry bodies
- Visits to projects – Providing the inside view on current major projects e.g. the Crossrail tunnels
- Visits to European Railways – To understand European operations and the chance to “compare and contrast” with UK railways Eurostar Visit
Our aim is to continue to run events that appeal to you and future members. Our forthcoming events programme is included on this section of the IRO website but we will also be adding topical events throughout the year – we hope you find something of interest and benefit.
If you’ve not attended an event before, please feel free to contact me on the email address below and I’ll arrange for someone to meet you when you arrive and introduce you to other members. I look forward to seeing you soon.
Glen Merryman MIRO
Area Chairman, South East Area Council
South East Area events
- Tackling the capacity challenge on South West Trains with Chris Loder on Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 18:00-20:00
- Iarnród Éireann – Understanding Irish railways on Fri, 12 May 2017-Sun, 14 May 2017, 09:00-17:00
- Greater Anglia New Franchise with Mike Kean on Mon, 15 May 2017, 17:45-20:00
South East Area news and reviews
- IRO South East Area Complete Three Peaks Challenge (added 15 Jul 2016)
- Creating a Customer Service Operations Culture (added 18 Sep 2014)
- St Pancras International Station Visit – 26 Feb 2014 (added 19 Mar 2014)